Welcome to my blog page

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Going to Kwethluk


The Halfbreeds are heading to Kwethluk for their first games of the season. In Kwethluk we will play against, Akiak, Tuntutliak, Akiuk, Tuluksak, and of course Kwethluk! I thought I better do a little research on Kwethluk before we get there, so here are a couple pieces of information I found:


Kwethluk has the land area: 9.99 square miles.

and, Population density: 72 people per square mile

It's located in Bethel County (did you know that there was a Bethel County?)
It lies at the confluence of the Kuskokwim and Kwethluk rivers in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. The constantly-changing channel gives the village its name: Kwethluk is derived from the Yupik "Kwikli," meaning "river"
As of the census of 2000, there were 713 people, 153 households, and 132 families residing in the city.

This next fact is sort of funny almost...
Elevation 10 ft (3 m)

I love to visit new places, so I have to say I'm a little excited about traveling to Kwethluk--plus I know two teachers who teach there (Kristen and Barb!)
Mostly I'm totally super duper excited to watch my volleyball team play their first games--I know they are going to do great, but most of all we will have lots of fun I'm sure. If anyone else knows anything about Kwethluk please add a comment...

No comments: